POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces : heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  heightfields, 16bit images and isosurfaces
From: Lutz-Peter Hooge
Date: 7 Jun 2003 22:15:13
Message: <3ee29c31$1@news.povray.org>
-Are 16bit TIFFs not supported in height_field?
It does work (no error), but the result looks like 8bit.
When I convert the TIFF to PNG first, it looks much smoother.
The TIFF was generated by Picture Publisher 10.
It this an issue with TIFFs in general, or only with TIFFs generated
by Picture Publisher?

-Is there a version of POV-Ray that supports more than 8bit/channel
in pigments, so that it is possible to make an iso-heightfield from
an 16bit grayscale image? (function{pigment{image_map{...}}})
I tried MLPov with an hdr image (converted with HCRedit), but still
the result didn't look as smooth as the 16bit PNG heightfield.
Maybe MLPov converts it back to 8bit when it is used inside a function?

Lutz-Peter